Pages

12 May 2012

Week 2: Classmate's Comments

Classmate's original post:

Week 2 Reading Entry

Chapter 1 It's all invented. Wow, this book is amazing! Chapter one was about how we invent things about situations in our lives that are automatically fulfilled because we believe them. However, if we change our view to a positive one, we begin to see the situation in a whole new perspective. This chapter really caused me to
pause and think about the things that I may have invented about my situation at work and the students in my room. I found that I have been inventing things for the past two years that were not as bad as I made them out to be. Chapter 2 Stepping into a Universe of Possibility. This chapter is hard to sum up. It prepares you to step into the world of possibilities.  We create measurements in our own world that we aren't even aware of. The chapter asked you to ask yourself, " how are my thoughts and actions...a reflection of the measurement world." When you can ask yourself this question honestly, you have stepped into the world of possibilities.  Chapter 3 Giving an A. I absolutely love this chapter. So many students put soo much emphasis on their grade that they loose track of what is important. The authors seem to both be music instructors of some type, so it was a little difficult to relate their stories to something that would actually happen to me. I love the idea of giving the grade and then the student telling/ describing why they deserve that grade. This gives them ownership of their grade and it takes their mind off their grade so that real learning and creativity can happen. I have been searching my brain for a way to incorporate this into my fourth grade classroom. Maybe a project? Let me know if you think of something. However, what I did think of is how to give them an A in my head and what them live up to my expectations.  Chapter 4 Being A Contribution. When you begin thinking that you are a contribution, you see the world in a whole new way. I realized that I was putting too much pressure on myself at work. Now that I have begun to see what I do as simply a contribution, I have been much more content with my situation. I also tried looking at each one of my students as a contribution and found that together we can do great things. When you begin to see yourself as a contribution, more than just your own life will be affected! I am really loving this book! I think that this book should be a requirement for all teachers to read. It has opened my eyes to the way that I sometimes view the world. I am beginning to see life as an endless sea of possibilities!!!


Comment to post:

Isn't it great to see your world in a different light? Looking at life in a different light brings about so many great opportunities for everyone. Having the ability to change our perspective allows for the possibilities as the book mentions. I definitely enjoyed Chapter 3: Giving an A. Changing the mind of the student to forget about the grade and focus on the knowledge being demonstrated. Good luck with the project.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

We are all a bunch of valuable commodities waiting to be noticed, a bunch of genius ideas awaiting discovery. The whole process is simple but not easy. As far as grades are concerned, here is something I wrote about eleven months ago.


The challenge lies, I believe, in the interpretation of the grade. I believe that you “earn” a grade and then you “get” one from your teacher. How lovely it is when the two match! When it does not match, and you understand why then you can grow and move on. Yet, if you can’t understand why and the grade seems untrue, then you should be able to converse and debate about that with the teacher who provided that to you. Just like students, teachers can be mistaken. The grading process is not truly about the number at all, but it is a comparison study between student and teacher which challenges you into learning competence. No one asks you about grades after graduation, yet I would only benefit to work for each point.

Post a Comment